return to Adult Classes
Beginner DSLR / Mirrorless + Get OFF of Auto Class
Prerequisite: A desire to learn the most important "technical" features of your camera!
Basic camera care and rules (scrolling through the menu, using the short-cut buttons, basic camera functions, the proper method of changing lenses & keeping everything clean, formatting the memory cards, adjusting the diopter, keeping the camera stable with or without a tripod, etc.)
- Learning what the numbers mean on the lenses
- The basics of Focal Length & why it is so important
- Filter basics
- Optical viewfinder vs Live View Shooting!
- Basics of the exposure meter
- Introduction of the exposure triangle & the mode dial ("Auto", "Scenes", "P", etc.)
- ISO Speeds (Introduced)
- Shutter Speeds (Introduced)
- Aperture sizes / F stops (Introduced)
- Capturing an image that isn't too dark or too light (Exposure compensation)
- Capturing an image that isn't too dark or too light while using your FLASH (Flash exposure compensation)
- Special features of YOUR camera
- Assignments to practice during the class
- A custom-designed booklet (& camera cheatsheet) that reinforces what you learned
you will also learn:
- Focus basics (macro to ¥ ) in the auto-focus mode, single and multi-point focus (and manual)
- White balance. Get the correct colors on your images
- "Exposure Triangle" (demonstrated, reviewed & practiced)
- Using the Auto, "P", Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority modes (and others) more in depth
- Manual mode (introduced)
- When, why & how to change your shutter speeds & ISO
- Depth of Field & it's relationship with "Aperture"
- Determining f numbers & how it effects Depth of Field
- Capture amazing pictures with blurry backgrounds by using the above information!
- Setting the "Drive" or "Release" mode properly (continuous shooting, self timer, etc.)
- The basics of image resolution (JPG vs. RAW). What you should select based on YOUR shooting style.
- More of your camera features (time permitting)
- Improve your composition when taking pictures (time permitting)
- Answers to your questions about future camera equipment purchases.
- Many other Professional Photographer secrets, short cuts & tips!