"Advanced Beginner" DSLR / Mirrorless
Prerequisite: Basic knowledge of computers and your camera.
This is a "Get OFF of Auto" bootcamp class. Looking for a slower paced class? See
camera care and rules (basic camera functions, learning how to adjust the diopter,
- The basics of image
resolution, processing and compression (JPG vs.RAW). What you
should select based on YOUR shooting style.
- Filters: What choices are
important? We'll cover the basics.
- Achieving focus (macro to ¥ ) with auto-focus, single
and multi-point focus options (and manual focus!)
- ISO Speeds
- Shutter Speeds
- Aperture sizes
- HOW the 3 important items listed above work TOGETHER so YOU
can control the light!
- How to choose the right
combination of the three to get proper exposure!
- Manual mode (introduced)
- Using the "P", Shutter Priority, & Aperture Priority
(and any others) on your dial
- Depth of Field & it's
relationship with "Aperture"
- Determining f numbers & how it effects Depth of Field
- How the exposure meter
works on your camera & tips to
getting the correct exposure by using
Exposure Compensation & the Histogram (& other tips)
- White balance. What is it? Why is it important?...
and what choices do I have?
- Additional Camera features; such as
"Continuous shooting" and
working with the menu, shortcut buttons and special features of YOUR camera.
- Improve your composition when taking pictures (and learn the
"Rule of Thirds" - Time permitting)
- Information about the
manufacturer of YOUR camera (includes tips on how to deal with
the customer service department of your camera while in OR out of
- Answers to your questions about future camera equipment
- Many other Professional
Photographer secrets, short cuts & tips!
- A custom-designed booklet (& camera cheatsheet) that reinforces what you learned.